IMPORTANT HOMESTEAD TAX EXEMPTION NOTICE
Act 2013-295 changed the income requirement for receiving Homestead Exemptions. The Income limit is now $ 12,000, based on either Federal or State Returns. Also, exemption for Permanent and Total Disability is no longer tied to income. Please see the Property page for detailed explanation of Homestead Exemption.
Macon County is closed on most major holidays, including the following dates in 2019.
- January 1st 2020 for New Year’s Day
- January 20th for MLK Jr. Day
- February —* for Mardi Gras
- February 17th for Presidents’ Day
- April 10th for Good Friday
- April 27rd for Confederate Memorial Day
- May 25th for National Memorial Day
- June 1st for Jefferson Davis’ Birthday
- July 4th for Independence Day
- September 7th for Labor Day
- October 12th for Columbus Day
- November 11th for Veterans’ Day
- November 26th & 27th*** for Thanksgiving
- December 25th, 26th & 27th*** for Christmas
Saturday holidays observed on Friday; Sunday holidays observed on Monday
*Mardi Gras observed only in Baldwin & Mobile Counties. Macon County has opted to observe Good Friday.
**Saturday Holidays are observed on Friday; Sunday Holidays are observed on Monday
***Upon designation by the Macon County Commission
****December 1st, of each year is designated as Mrs. Rosa L. Parks Day to commemorate her accomplishments. Each resident of Alabama is encouraged to observe the day with suitable activities
Important Dates to Remember
- October 1….Real Property and Business Personal Property Taxes Due
- After January 1…Taxes Delinquent January 1st but the office will be closed January 1st.
- 1. Walk-in payments without penalty will end at close of business day December 31st.
- 2. Mailed payments must be postmarked by December 31st
- 3. Payments after this date will be charged late fees: $5.00 delinquent fee plus 12% annual interest
- 4. Web payments will end midnight December 31st. and will resume January 4th with penalties
- NOTE: Personal Checks will NOT be accepted for property tax payments after December 31st
- Month of February… Certified Court notices mailed out to delinquent taxpayers
- Month of March…Delinquent Property advertised for 3 consecutive weeks in The Tuskegee News
- Tax Sale of unpaid taxes, Date and Time TBA (Usually in April), Commission Chamber, Courthouse Annex, 205 North Main Street, Tuskegee, AL
- NOTICE: Sale of Tax Liens for Collecting Delinquent Property Tax
- HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION APPLICATION
- #It’s Real! #Social Distancing – 6ft. / Masks and Gloves / Let’s Do Our Part and Adhere to these Recommendations
- Coronavirus Covid-19: A Link to Alabama Information
- Regular Homestead Mail-In Claim Form
P.O. Box 830420
Tuskegee, AL 36083