IMPORTANT HOMESTEAD TAX EXEMPTION NOTICE
Act 2013-295 changed the income requirement for receiving Homestead Exemptions. The Income limit is now $ 12,000, based on either Federal or State Returns. Also, exemption for Permanent and Total Disability is no longer tied to income. Please see the Property page for detailed explanation of Homestead Exemption.
Macon County is closed on most major holidays, including the following dates in 2021.
- January 1st 2021 for New Year’s Day
- January 18th for MLK Jr. Day
- February 15th for Presidents’ Day
- April 2nd for Good Friday (Mardi Gras *)
- April 26th for Confederate Memorial Day
- May 31st for National Memorial Day
- June 7th for Jefferson Davis’ Birthday
- July 5th for Independence Day
- September 6th for Labor Day
- October 11th for Columbus Day
- November 11th for Veterans’ Day
- November 25th & 26th*** for Thanksgiving
- December 1st**** for Rose L. Parks Day
- December 24th*** for Christmas
*Mardi Gras observed only in Baldwin & Mobile Counties. Macon County Commission opted to observe Good Friday in leu of Mardi Gras.
+All County employees are granted one personal leave day each year if in employment status on January 1. **Saturday Holidays are observed on Friday; Sunday Holidays are observed on Monday
***Upon designation by the Macon County Commission
****December 1st, of each year is designated as Mrs. Rosa L. Parks Day to commemorate her accomplishments. Each resident of Alabama is encouraged to observe the day with suitable activities
Important Dates to Remember
- October 1….Real Property and Business Personal Property Taxes Due
- After January 1…Taxes Delinquent January 1st but the office will be closed January 1st.
- 1. Walk-in payments without penalty will end at close of business day December 31st.
- 2. Mailed payments must be postmarked by December 31st
3. Payments after this date will be charged late fees: $5.00 delinquent fee plus 12% annual interest
- 4. Web payments will end midnight December 31st. and will resume tentatively January 4th with penalties added
- NOTE: Personal Checks will NOT be accepted for property tax payments after December 31st
- Month of February… Certified Court notices mailed out to delinquent taxpayers
- Month of March…Delinquent Property advertised for 3 consecutive weeks in ON OUR WEBSITE
- NEW for 2021: Tax Lien Sale of unpaid taxes, Date and Time TBA Will be an Online Auction of Tax Liens Commission Chamber, Courthouse Annex, 205 North Main Street, Tuskegee, AL
P.O. Box 830420
Tuskegee, AL 36083