IMPORTANT HOMESTEAD TAX EXEMPTION NOTICE
Act 2013-295 changed the income requirement for receiving Homestead Exemptions. The Income limit is now $ 12,000, based on either Federal or State Returns. Also, exemption for Permanent and Total Disability is no longer tied to income. Please see the Property page for detailed explanation of Homestead Exemption.
Macon County is closed on most major holidays, including the following dates in 2018.
- January 1st 2018 for New Year’s Day
- January 15th for MLK Jr. Day
- February 13th* for Mardi Gras
- February 19th for Presidents’ Day
- March 30th for Good Friday
- May 28th for National Memorial Day
- June 4th for Jefferson Davis’ Birthday
- July 4th for Independence Day
- September 3rd for Labor Day
- October 8th for Columbus Day
- November 11th** for Veterans’ Day
- November 22nd & 23rd*** for Thanksgiving
- December 24th & 25th*** for Christmas
Saturday holidays observed on Friday; Sunday holidays observed on Monday
*Mardi Gras observed only in Baldwin & Mobile Counties. Macon County has opted to observe Good Friday.
**As Veterans’ Day falls on Sunday, office will be closed on Monday, November 12, 2018.
***Upon designation by the Macon County Commission.
Important Dates to Remember
- October 1….Real Property and Business Personal Property Taxes Due
- After January 1…Taxes Delinquent but due to holiday schedule, Closing December 31st.
- 1. Walk-in payments without penalty will end at close of business day January 2nd.
- 2. Mailed payments must be postmarked by December 31st
- 3. Payments after this date will be charged late fees: $5.00 delinquent fee plus 12% annual interest
- 4. Web payments will end midnight December 31st. and will resume January 4th with penalties
- NOTE: Personal Checks will NOT be accepted for property tax payments after December 31st
- Month of February… Certified Court notices mailed out to delinquent taxpayers
- Month of March…Delinquent Property advertised for 3 consecutive weeks in The Tuskegee News
- Tax Sale of unpaid taxes, Date and Time TBA (Usually in April), Commission Chamber, Courthouse Annex, North Main Street, Tuskegee, AL
P.O. Box 830420
Tuskegee, AL 36083